Category Archives: Knitting

Knitting a pointy hat

This project probably reveals the fact that I have a mild obsession with pointy hats. I just think they’re neat. Unfortunately at the height of the some of the warmest weather we have had I  have picked the worst time to make this…

This is my first knitting project with a pattern I designed, although ‘designed’ is putting it rather strongly as it is essentially a cone. It is primarily moss stitch, which takes a bit of thinking about to work out how to correctly reduce (but luckily for you I have already done this) with some ribbing and is made in two halves, which are then stitched together. If you have larger needles and a smaller head than I do or round knitting needles you may be able to make the hat all in one piece. 

For this project I used size 8 needles and hayfeild bonus aran tweed yarn 

To start I knitted a test square to find out how many stitches per length I was working at and measured around my head to work out how many stitches I would need to cast on to start with. This came to 64 stitches for each half. 

So,  the pattern for each half is as follows:

Cast on 64 (I used Tillybuddy’s very stretchy cast on) leaving a reasonable tail.

15 lines of K2P2.

16 lines of moss stitch, which goes like  (repeat this sequence 4 times): 

  • 2 lines K1P1.
  • 2 lines P1K1.

120 lines of reducing moss, which goes like (repeat this sequence 15 times):

  • P2tog, K1P1 until last two sts, K2tog.
  • P1K1.
  • K1P1.
  • K1P1.
  • K2tog, P1K1 until last two sts, P2tog.
  • K1P1.
  • P1K1.
  • P1K1.

P2tog, K2tog.

Cast off  leaving a tail long enough to sew most of one edge  (you should only be casting off two stitches).

Repeat this pattern twice and then lay one half on top of the other and sew along the seams with the tails, on each half the tail from the base and the point should meet some way in the middle and be tied together. Now turn the hat inside out and it should be complete! 


Knitting Finger-less Gloves

This is my first knitting project so I was obviously following a tutorial so I will once again just redirect to that and give any alterations I made.

My gloves did not end up looking a great deal like the ones in the tutorial, a lot of this is due to having to change the pattern to fit my hands. I started by casting on 46 stitches which is a fair few more than in the tutorial. I also put in a few extra rows for the thumbs to fit my (so I have been told) wide thumbs but this still ended up being a little tight. I cut down the length of ribbing over the fingers a fair bit partly because I thought that would look better and partly because I was concerned I would run out of wool (I ran out of wool anyway so so much for that). The final change is the switch in the stockinette around the wrist from knit on the outside to purl on the outside, this was entirely a mistake but I ended up liking it.

What I actually ended up having most trouble with was the stitching, which ended up a bit of a hodgepodged mess that i’m sure will fall apart eventually.

   One point of interest is that none of the pictures are of me wearing both the gloves owing to the difficulty of taking a picture of both your hands.