This project probably reveals the fact that I have a mild obsession with pointy hats. I just think they’re neat. Unfortunately at the height of the some of the warmest weather we have had I have picked the worst time to make this…
This is my first knitting project with a pattern I designed, although ‘designed’ is putting it rather strongly as it is essentially a cone. It is primarily moss stitch, which takes a bit of thinking about to work out how to correctly reduce (but luckily for you I have already done this) with some ribbing and is made in two halves, which are then stitched together. If you have larger needles and a smaller head than I do or round knitting needles you may be able to make the hat all in one piece.
For this project I used size 8 needles and hayfeild bonus aran tweed yarn
To start I knitted a test square to find out how many stitches per length I was working at and measured around my head to work out how many stitches I would need to cast on to start with. This came to 64 stitches for each half.
So, the pattern for each half is as follows:
Cast on 64 (I used Tillybuddy’s very stretchy cast on) leaving a reasonable tail.
15 lines of K2P2.
16 lines of moss stitch, which goes like (repeat this sequence 4 times):
- 2 lines K1P1.
- 2 lines P1K1.
120 lines of reducing moss, which goes like (repeat this sequence 15 times):
- P2tog, K1P1 until last two sts, K2tog.
- K2tog, P1K1 until last two sts, P2tog.
Cast off leaving a tail long enough to sew most of one edge (you should only be casting off two stitches).
Repeat this pattern twice and then lay one half on top of the other and sew along the seams with the tails, on each half the tail from the base and the point should meet some way in the middle and be tied together. Now turn the hat inside out and it should be complete!
For this project I worked mostly from a tutorial so It seems rather unnecessary to recover the information. Instead I will just link to that tutorial and add some points that I encountered while making it.
The first point I have is about the material. The hat will look and feel much better, be much more durable if you spend a bit more money and get actual wool felt rather than the cheaper acrylic.
The next point is about the shape of the brim. I ended up with too much fabric around the outside of the brim resulting in a wavey edge rather than coming down in a clean ‘cone like’ shape. When you are cutting the section out of the ring that forms the brim I would suggest maybe cutting one of the sides at a slight angle so as to try and counter act this.
Another factor causing floppiness in the brim was that I could not find any substantial interfacing (what the video calls fusing). I ended up using rather lightweight stuff and layering it up but that didn’t really cut it so I would definitely suggest looking for something that’s going to be a bit stiffer.
If you line the inside with a second layer of felt (which also means you don’t have to buy another load of material) that seems to be sufficient and renders stuffing the hat unnecessary.
I also skipped adding the extra line of stitching around the brim as I didn’t like how it looked and just ran around the edge with an iron to press it together, which seems to have done the trick. I also used an iron to press into the seam between the brim and the cone to give it a bit more of a sharp division.
That is pretty much it for this one. A final thing I will suggest to those that don’t have a sewing machine is that a Gandalf hat in miniature is a fun hand stitching project that is quite a lot easier than the full sized thing, which is what I did when I was at university and didn’t have access to the equipment or space for the larger things.
And yes, Tolkein fans, I know I got the colour wrong and it really ought to be blue.